Friday, July 1, 2011

Criss Cross

After a little inspiration from my new love, Pintrest, I decided to DIY a little crissity crossaty art. You can just start calling me Picasso. It's cool. See the inspiration pin here. I forgot to take photos of the beginning but you can use your imagination. Blank canvas from Hobby Lobby - with 40% off coupon - it only cost about 14 bones. I went ahead and coated it with a white paint that we had laying around. Which turned out helpful later on. I'll get to that in a minute. Once the paint was dry I took two different sizes of tape {one was Frogger painting tape the other was just regular old masking tape} and started criss crossing. No specific method or plan just kind of did it until the canvas looked covered enough. Once the tape was on I took a Martha Stewart paint sample {Persimmon Red} and painted it on to the canvas over the tape. It took two coats to get good coverage. The color is great. Although in some lights it kind of looks like you might see it in a Mexican restaurant. Either way, that Martha Stewart is quite the genius. VOILA....Once the tape is torn off {be prepared - the tearing off is not as easy as you would think} you get some lovely art for your wall or your Mexican restaurant. Your choice. As I mentioned earlier, painting the canvas in white prior to taping and painting the red color was a great idea because I was able to touch up the white color when I pulled off the tape to fix the lines that looked a little sketch. If I hadn't painted it white prior to taping it and touched it up with random white paint the whites might not have matched making it stick out like a sore thumb. And who likes a sore thumb? So, there you have it. Wall art Picasso style on the cheap.
I hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment