Wednesday, July 27, 2011

How do you pick paint colors?

Am I the only one that gets hives when deciding on paint colors? No one else does? That's what I thought. This time we are painting our living room which happens to be the largest room in our house. So, I REALLY do not want to screw this up. This is how we have made successful paint choices in the past. {Side Note: We've made lots of un-successful attempts in the past pre this method.} It begins with Home Depot and Lowe's...I pick up every paint sample in the shade I have in mind. Take them home and see how they look in our house. Weave out the ones that are obvious "No's" and then weave out some more depending on how they look in that room, how they go with adjoining rooms, how they look in certain light, etc. Once it's down to a reasonable number {5 in this case} I go buy samples and cheap brushes or sponge brushes to actually place the color on the wall. Just like this....We walk by them a few days and get to see them in every lighting situation. Some are easy to eliminate after you have to look at them for a while. Here are our Top 5 contenders.....Up first Cincinnation Hotel Briggs Beige by Valspar {Top Left}. Which I think is a top competitor at the moment. Next we have Dusty Trail by Olympic {Middle Left}. Then there is Ash Bark by Martha Stewart {Bottom Left} which is also one of my favorites. I'm trying decide if it's just because I love Martha.Barley by Benjamin Moore {Top Right} has pretty much already been eliminated. Not digging it.I really like Ivory Brown {Bottom Right} by Valspar but I'm afraid it's to similar to the other colors in our house.
Who knows which one we will choose. I just hope we do it soon so I can stop worrying about it and my hives can go away:). Does anyone else pick paint colors like this? Got a better method? I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment